Sunday, June 9, 2019

Rio is Home!

And I am in love! <3 <3 <3 He is super sweet and smart. He already flies to me when I call him (and often when I don't, lol). He follows me around the house and lands on my head. When we first brought him home, he wasn't quite ready to come out of his cage. He hissed at me and gently grabbed my finger, so I let him come out on his own. From that point, he just flew between my and Dan's head. It did not take him long to feel comfortable with us. I did not introduce him to Bubo until yesterday, and it did not go well. Bu just wants to bite him. I have been keeping them separated because Bu will not leave him alone. He is the most high-strung bird I have ever had. In the five months I've had him, I have never felt love toward him. In fact, he has made me cry more often than given me feelings of affection. I hoped that Rio would give him the companionship he was missing and mellow him out, but I do not think it is going to happen. I know these things can take time, but Bu's personality is what it is, and I realized just how bad he is after bringing Rio home. Dan suggested that we give him to someone who wants a breeder bird, and Dan is always one to give the benefit of the doubt. Sadly it is something that I am seriously considering, and I do not take decisions like this lightly. I love birds with everything in me, but Bubo is just a really bad biter and he rarely just settles in without using his beak to inflict pain. We call him Dracula. I have three days off work, so I am praying that a miracle will occur. If not, then I will start looking for a new home for him.
In other news, we took the new camper out last weekend. Everything went pretty smoothly, which was very good for Dan because he needed to build some confidence. The truck pulls it really nicely, and I think it will be pretty easy to travel with it.
There are lots of windows for the birds to look out of. We are planning to convert the sofa into a bird cage area eventually. We are going on another short camping trip this upcoming weekend; it will be Rio's first camping trip. He seems pretty laid back, so I am hopeful that the new environment won't rattle him too much.

No comments: